Tilman Riemenschneider, (born c. 1460, Heiligenstadt or Osterode, Domain of the Teutonic Order[Germany]—died July 7, 1531, Würzburg), master sculptor whose wood portrait carvings and statues made him one of the major artists of the late Gothic period in Germany; he was known as the leader of the Lower Franconia school.
Riemenschneider was the son of the mint master of Würzburg and opened a highly successful workshop there in 1483. As a civic leader, he was councillor (1504–20) and burgomaster (1520–25). During the Peasants’ War (1524–25), he sympathized with the revolutionaries and was imprisoned for a short time, during which he temporarily lost his civic responsibilities and patrons.
His first documented work was the altar for the Münnerstadt parish church (1490–92), which was later dismantled. He had a continuous flow of commissions. His major work, the Altar of the Virgin (c. 1505–10) in Herrgotts Church at Creglingen, is a wood altar, 32 feet (10 metres) high, depicting the life of Mary. Riemenschneider employed numerous assistants on the massive monument, but he executed the dominant life-size figures himself. Other major works are Adam and Eve, stone figures from the Würzburg Lady Chapel; the Altar of the Holy Blood (1501–05), in the church of St. Jacob, Rothenburg; and the Tomb of Henry II and Kunigunde (1499–1513), in Bamberg Cathedral.